My column

Friday, May 3, 2013

Dear Elyse,
I just got engaged and my fiancee did a prenup. Included in the prenup were not only monetary matters but strict conditions about my behavior and appearance. I have to stay under a certain weight at all times, agree to have sex with my fiancé 5 times a week, agree to cook meals a certain way, agree to give him massages- the list goes on. I was quite alarmed but he doesn't seem to think that this is a big deal.
Yours,
Demanding Prenup

Dear Demanding Prenup,
I hope that you get to make some demands of your own if he is going to place demands on you. While I do think that it is important to manage your expectations of your partner, I think that needs can change and expectations must be fluid. I think there are some good ideas in this prenup about spending time together, giving massages, and sexual activity, but I think that these needs should be discussed regularly rather than etched in stone. Refuse to sign the prenup and tell your partner your always happy to discuss needs on a regular basis.
Yours,
Elyse

No comments:

Post a Comment