My column

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Overly talkative mom

Dear Elyse, I recently started dating a guy that I'm crazy about and I see a future with him. I'd like him to meet my parents but my mom has the habit of divulging information she knows about people she's never met. Some people have been shocked that she knows so much about them. How can I stop my mom from saying too much? Yours , Mom with no filter

Dear Mom with no filter, I suppose you could wait until you have a ring on your finger or even better wait until your wedding night before you introduce your beau to your mom. Or ... You could always star the conversation back to your mom when she starts to ask your suitors questions. Bounce questions at your mom or talk about some new things in your life to minimize conversation. Also- so your mom is somewhat satisfied and learns a few tidbits about your boyfriend make sure you ask your boyfriend questions before your mom gets to him and make sure it is topics your boyfriend is comfortable talking about. Yours, Elyse

No comments:

Post a Comment