My column

Friday, February 15, 2013

Can't stomach a compliment

Dear Elyse,
I always find myself flinching when guys I'm dating give me a compliment or are accepting of me! In fact - I start liking them less for this. Help! There must be something seriously wrong with me? What girl wouldn't want to receive compliments? Yours, Fleeing at the first sign of affection

Dear Fleeing at the first sign of affection,
Oh no! Perhaps you have horns growing on your head and that's why you can't stomach compliments! Just kidding ! Sometimes it is disconcerting to receive compliments from men. This feeling of uneasiness stems from deception and honesty. Part of it may be that you don't actually believe that what the guy is saying about you is true and worry that he may discover that you aren't the X great quality that he seems to think you are and then flee. You may also be concerned that the guy is telling you what you may want to hear just to get you into the sack. Try to assess which scenario applies. If it is the first scenario- I would just go with the flow and allow the compliments to keep coming. Remember we are our own worst critic! If you believe that the second scenario pertains to you, I would run for the hills! If he's telling you lies to get you into bed, you can hardly imagine what he'll do next. Besides, this isn't 1952, you don't really need to lie to get women to go bed with you anymore . Yours, Elyse

No comments:

Post a Comment