My column

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Dear Elyse,
After the Hurricane, I contracted a friend to do some repairs on my house. He gave me a quote and then did some work. It took him far more time to do the work then I anticipated. Then he gave me a bill that was for more than what he quoted. What should I do now?
Yours,
Surprise Bill

Dear Surprise Bill,
Yikes! No one wants a surprise bill especially if its much more expensive than we anticipated. You shouldn't treat this situation any differently than if it were a random stranger who gave you a surprise bill. Make the money sucker justify such an increase. Remind them that they quoted you a lower number and ask them what factors contributed to the raise in price. Be careful to make sure that your tone is just an inquiring one not an accusatory one as a friend is more likely to take it personally if you accuse them of fraud. If you find it difficult to confront them, then send them a letter or an email.
Yours,
Elyse

No comments:

Post a Comment