My column

Friday, March 29, 2013

Opinionated Friend

Dear Elyse,
I have a friend who has the habit of always interjecting her opinion and advice into conversation. Sometimes she even preaches about subjects which she has no expertise. When I try to change the subject, she can't take the hint and keeps chattering on. Whenever I disagree with her, she responds with such disdain that is nauseates me. I don't want to ruin our friendship but ...
Yours,
Suffering through an opinionated friend

Dear Suffering through an opinionated friend,
My suggestion is so simple; you'll be shocked when you hear it. Agree with her. Every time she makes a suggestion, even if it is something you detest just agree with her. Be a broken record. Echo the sentiment, you are probably right, anytime she utters advice. Even pepper your responses with , I'll try it, I'll take that under advisement. Your friend will loose her mojo when she sees that she doesn't have any opposition. Opinionated people like her crave reactions. Good luck!
Yours,
Elyse

No comments:

Post a Comment