My column

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Dear Elyse,
I currently work full time in a corporate setting-3 days a week in the office and two days a week from home- and my husband is a stay at home dad for our school aged daughters. I'm looking to transfer to a job that offers more security but will require me to work all 5 days in the office. In addition, my husband has just confessed to me that he is extremely dissatisfied with his life and is looking to accept a full time job. Please help!
Yours,
Pulled in all directions

Dear Pulled in all directions,
You did say school- aged right? Which means that for the majority of the day your kids are accounted for by our esteemed school system. I would suggest having a trial period where you accept the 5 day a week job and your husband accepts the full time job. See if on every day of the week you or your husband can be home by 6 so you only need about 3 hours of either childcare of activities for your children. This may be a positive change for your children as it will force them to develop independence and learn to adjust to many different kinds of people. Also you and your husband are likely to be happier if you have a more secure job and your husband is more fulfilled. Your kids will relate to you better if they say you in a more positive state.
Yours,
Elyse

No comments:

Post a Comment