My column

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Defamed on Facebook

Dear Elyse,
My girlfriend has the annoying habit of posting about our fights on Facebook. She encourages her friends to comment on the fights. I am often shocked to see her comments as I had no idea about her litany of complaints. I am uncomfortable with so many people seeing me as the bad guy. How can I put a stop to this?
Yours,
Defamed on Facebook

Dear Defamed on Facebook,
First of all, let me express my empathy for your situation. It is never pleasant to be humiliated in front of a wide audience like Facebook. I presume you are a Facebook user yourself. Which means that you have the ability to defend yourself when your girlfriend attacks you. Stop being a wimp and reply to her judgmental comments, let her know that you aren't going to be slandered without a fight.
It may be that your girlfriend is someone who takes pleasure in exposing other people's flaws. Another possibility is that she feels uncomfortable telling you directly about any beef she has with you. Try to look for subtle clues that your girlfriend is trying to bring up misgivings. Some cues include saying "fine" in an indignant tone, stomping off after an encounter ends, rolling her eyes, and such. Instead of saying is anything wrong, try to approach her in a more open ended manner by saying phrases like, "Tell me about your day or tell me about what is bothering you." Good luck!
Yours,
Elyse

No comments:

Post a Comment