My column

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Can't be nude!

Dear Elyse,
I'm a very shy person. I'm especially self conscious about my body. I recently started dating an art student who goes to parties where everyone is nude. He would like me to accompany him to the parties but I just can't bring myself to do it.
Yours,
Can't be Nude.

Dear Can't be Nude,
First of all, I would like to commend you for admitting that you are self conscious. One of the underlying reasons that we are self conscious about our body is that we tend to examine our body for flaws and become terrified that others will notice the flaws and judge. Realize that other people do not notice as much about us as we do about ourselves because they too are transfixed with their own flaws. In addition, seeing other people nude will help you realize that almost everybody has irregularities about their body. Some people will even find the so called "flaws" endearing. I would ease yourself into the nude parties by attending one of the nude parties with the caveat that you will leave after about an half an hour. Each time you attend, increase the time you are there. Also have a safety net where you can telephone a friend or relative fi you start to feel anxious or uncomfortable.
Yours,
Elyse

No comments:

Post a Comment