My column

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Dating the mentally ill

Dear Elyse,
I've been with my boyfriend for 5 years. He has always gone through odd patches where he acts differently, erratically. Sometimes he gets very paranoid that the world is out to kill him and other times he hears voices in his head and sees things that aren't there. I always suspected that he had some kind of mental disorder but i didn't want to say anything. He was recently diagnosed with schizophrenia but refuses to take his medication. I really think the meds could help him and its challenging to be around him when he is in his moods. Leave him or not?
Yours
Dating a Schizoid

Dear Dating a Schizoid,
It is understandable that you are concerned about your boyfriend's well being. It sounds like you want the best for him. I would encourage you to learn more about his illness. You can consult with a psychiatrist, read literature. There may even be support groups for partners of the mentally ill. I urge you to consult other resources as I am not an expert on this. In addition, I urge you think about what is best for you. If your boyfriend's illness and his neglecting to take his medication ultimately brings you down and negatively impacts your life, I urge you think about whether or not you want the relationship.
Yours,
Elyse

No comments:

Post a Comment