My column

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Honest is the best policy

Dear Elyse,
I'm currently married for the second time. My wife doesn't want our children to know that I have a child from my first marriage. I think that it is best to be honest with our kids. What is the best policy? How do I convince my wife that it is best for us to be honest with our kids?
Yours,
Honesty is Best

Dear Honesty is Best,
I concur that it is best to be honest with your kids. I think it would be quite disturbing for your kids to find out that they have a half brother/sister when they are twenty-one. I don't believe you can ever force someone to do something. However, I would try to assess where our wife's reservations to introduce your biological child stem from? Is it because she doesn't want you to have contact with your ex wife? Does she not want the kids to hear about divorce? Perhaps you should convince her that there is a way to present the idea of divorce to the kids in a child-centered, loving way.
Yours,
Elyse

No comments:

Post a Comment