My column

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

What about me?

Dear Elyse,
I'm 44 years old and single. Most of the men that fall into my age bracket are divorced with kids. I find that the kids often impinge on our time together and crowd the apartment. What about me? Where do I fit in?
Yours,
What About Me

Dear What About Me,
Maybe there is a reason you are still single. Grow up and realize that when you are in a relationship with someone you aren't the only person in your significant other's life. A man's children are a permanent part of his life, he has an immutable bond to his children while you might only be a presence in his life for maybe 2 months. If you want to snag this guy, I would suggest that you honor his commitment to the kids and realize that his dedication to his kids is a marker of good character. Think of how many scumbags don't even acknowledge their children. In addition, realize that there are many positives to dating a guy with kids. Men with kids tend to be sensitive to emotions, aren't likely to fret if you spill something or are messy, and are reinvigorated by their kids. In addition, the time that he spends with his kids affords you the option to go out with your girl friends ( think of how many people in relationships wish they had that luxury). So try and appreciate the time you have alone and also show an interest in his kids as that will go a long way. Good luck!
Yours,
Elyse

No comments:

Post a Comment